Monday, March 28, 2011

Matta Family History Part Two

 Chris Matta continues to tell about Matta Family history.  You will find Part One at Matta Family History Part One
Well let's see, since we last talked I had a chance to visit with my Aunt Gloria. Gloria is Manuel and Mary Lou's (my grandparents) eldest daughter. It turns out that one of the main reasons for the move out of Los Angeles was Mary Lou's asthma (I guess they didn't know about Valley Fever yet). Actually that was a pretty common doctor recommendation in those days---due to the dry climate.

Another thing Aunt Gloria shared with me was a wonderful picture of a very young Matta family taken in the spring of 1950 just before they left for their Arizona adventure. Pictured is Manuel (32 years old), Mary Lou (?? years old), Gloria (?? years old) and little David (5). ????? like I'm going to give up my grandmother's and my favorite aunt's age. I'd get my Matta card revoked for that. Just ask the much younger than me, Aunt Lisa, she'll tell ya all about it. One thing I've never been able to figure out is how her twin brother Louie is older than me. Hmmmm?? By the way, all my Aunties are my favorite ;o) (just in case Lisa reads this). Let's just say Gloria is older than David and Mary Lou's got both kids beat :0). I know I'm dropping names like flies in a bug zapper. The only of my dad's siblings I haven't mentioned is Robert but that's getting way ahead of myself. We'll talk about them later after they've been born. They're not going anywhere. Besides we haven't even opened the restaurant yet.

Next time I'll talk about their move back to Pecos, Texas to learn the restaurant business from Manuel's younger brother, Ben. Yeah, I know, they moved again! Don't worry, they will come back to Mesa and plant roots and open Matta’s, a Mesa tradition that continues to this day.

Don't forget to "like" Matta's Mexican Grill on FACEBOOK and check in on FOUR SQUARE using you smart phone. Each time you do check in you'll receive a free soda with any food purchase and the Mayor will receive a free appetizer (one per month. Offers not valid at the Riverview location)


No comments:

Post a Comment